Tuesday, May 29, 2007

JERI ROSSI - I Left My Heart But I Don't Know Where (7" 1983)

If you enjoyed the Your Funeral single posted a couple months back you’re in for a exceptional treat because next up is the one and only, powerfully haunting solo recording from none other than Your Funeral vocalist/guitarist Ms. Jeri Rossi!

Recorded in 1983, this single has two tracks total, the A-side being an original song written by Jeri herself, and the flip a boldly feminized cover of the James Brown song It’s A Mans Mans Mans World. Both songs share the same spirit found in Jeri’s previous work, but the approach here is a little different, more poetic perhaps, with word and instrumentation woozily tangled together in a cacophony of mismanaged passion. For myself, the first track, I Left My Heart But I Don’t Know Where, is the easy winner of the two… a dense, dark, rhythmically bubbling brew of loud, confusing, disagreeable sounds recklessly spiked with Jeri’s wrathful tongue... within seconds the song’s contagious mood had me piled in goose-bumps and curling my upper lip in accordance. Highly recommended for fans of angry women like Lydia Lunch, Jarboe, and Bikini Kill.

I Left My Heart But I Don’t Know Where

I left my heart but I don’t know where

it’s beating on someone’s stairs
or in a dumpster where he tossed it
I wish someday to come across it…

I feel so hollow, made of tin
fingers quiver, chest sunk in
the question that comes to mind
“Why a heart is hard to find?”

Feel like a bullet in someone’s gun
he pulls the trigger, then he runs
into the banquet, pain and thunder
I’d rather be SIX FEET UNDER!

I left my heart but I don’t know where
I left my heart but I don’t know where
I left my heart but I don’t know where
I LEFT MY HEART BUT I DON’T KNOW WHERE!

JERI ROSSI - I Left My Heart But I Don't Know Where (7" 1983)

  1. I Left My Heart But I Don't Know Where
  2. It's a Mans Mans Mans World

DOT #13


10 comments:

M. d'Entremont McInnis said...

When Jeri moved to Boston she fronted Black Cat Bone. A single of BCB appears on a Hyped2Death compilation. I published her first book. Long out of print. She now lives in San Francisco. Could you put that unreleased Your Funeral song back up?

noinim said...

Yeah, I wish I could find that song by Black Cat Bone, but nothing yet. I have a couple of her books on my Amazon wishlist and I hope to hold one in my hands very soon. As far as Jeri in SF - coincidentally, I think she lives just down the street from me! I discovered that she moved here just after the Katrina catastrophe, but I haven’t heard anything more.

I'll put that track back up for you.
Best, noi

icon music said...

Saw your posting on cactus mouth informer re Seventh Seance.
http://www.seventhseance.com/
now running.
Feedback appreciated, you may like this better than the earlier/cheezier stuff!

frankie teardrop said...

a treat! i stumbled upon this blog through mutual friends and have added you to the bits & bobs. once i'm free from work (which blocks most downloading) i'll be inspecting this immediately.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say excellent blog here. The dark post-punk stuff is just stuff I can't get enough of, esp. the stuff from the '78 - '85 period, preferably Brit or European. Thanks for showing some great finds here.

-Oliver

noinim said...

hi frankie, hi oliver. thanks for sharing your interest in my posts. i'm quite fond of both your blogs as well! oh and 'systems of romance' has been added to my list of links. (cult punk was already there of course!) cheers.

Marco Gélido said...

repost this pleaseee

高収入アルバイト said...

性欲を持て余し、欲求不満になっている女性を金銭の対価を得て、癒して差し上げるお仕事です。参加にあたり用紙、学歴等は一切問いません。高収入アルバイトに興味のある方はぜひどうぞ

Anonymous said...

Good post and this fill someone in on helped me alot in my college assignement. Say thank you you seeking your information.

Anonymous said...

i without a doubt enjoy your own posting way, very helpful,
don't quit and also keep penning considering the fact that it simply truly worth to read it,
looking forward to browse through additional of your own content, regards :)